Melanie's Genealogy Quest

My genealogy research journal. Current names I'm researching: Liden (Peterson), Bill, Kampfert, Donovan, Scheifelbien, Zoss, Gfeller, DeGrasse/DeGrace, Fagan, Zukausky(varied spelling)

Name:
Location: Illinois, United States

Monday, March 18, 2013

Oops I I found what I wasn't looking for (partial repost)

This was originally posted at Melanie Thinks


Genealogy research is full of hints that seemingly lead nowhere and searches that give no results. When you find that special nugget of new information it's worthy of celebration. So when you find something by accident I think it deserves extra celebration. I logged onto Ancestry the other day to look up a birth date since I wasn't at home to have access to my full database. I happened to glance at the Member Connect Activity list and saw a name I didn't recognize had added a census record for one of my great grandfathers siblings. Out of curiosity I clicked on the "view in tree" link. And to my delight, the above picture appeared! The baby on his mother's lap is my great grandfather. I have seen pictures of him as a young man and pictures of his father much older than he is here. This picture was taken in mid 1892 and may be one of the oldest pictures I have of my family (so far.) Not a bad little accidental find in my opinion!
Thanks to "MamaMisch" for posting this! Bill family photo on Ancestry

Information about this picture:
The family of Gottfried (Godfred) & Elizabeth (Zoss) Bill Roanoke, Woodford, Illinois, USA L to R: Back Row - Fred, Alice, Godfred, Jr. Front Row - Adolph, Godfred (father) holding Ben, Elizabeth (mother) holding Lewis, Mary, Herman (standing in front of Mary) Hulda and Walter were not yet born when this picture was taken in the summer of 1892. Godfred and Elizabeth had a total of 16 children born to them, 10 of whom lived to adulthood. Once child, Emma (born 10 MAY 1884 in Roanoke, Illinois) died a tragic death on 31 MAR 1892 as her father was burning corn stalks in an open field. Emma was standing too close, and her clothing caught fire. She burned to death as a result. Emma is not shown in this family photo; therefore, it was taken later in the year of 1892. This family originated in Bern, Switzerland, and emigrated to America prior to May of 1884.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Margaret Skupa said...

Melanie, it's only after searching for a specific photo of your Mom that I realized the MyFamily.com website was slated for closure at the end of Sept. 2014. So in my attempt to download or print what I can from the site in order to try to incorporate it in some fashion onto a new site 9wherever that may be), I found the link to your (this) blog. What a great journal. I'm glad to have found it.

Margaret

September 12, 2014 5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home